Thread: No Parallel Port! Using Mach3 and need to get up and running ASAP!

Exclamation No Parallel Port! Using Mach3 and need to get up and running ASAP!

Hey everyone,

OK, I am desperately trying to get my CNC Router up and running by Jan 23rd. I'm gonna use Mach3 to run the machine, but the laptop I have doesn't have a parallel port for connecting the Controller Hardware I bought from PROBOTIX (Their PBX-RF Breakout Board).

I have a USB to Parallel Port (DB25) adapter, but I haven't figured out how to get it to work. In Mach3 it has a window to assign the port address to be used (listed in a format like this: 0x123), but I have no idea how to find the address of the virtual port made by the adapter I've bought.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Even better, has anyone managed to find a way to solve the problem of not having a Parallel Port to work with?

Thanks,
    Jon

P.S. ~ I need to get this up and running ASAP because I'm trying to make a custom pendant for one of my friends with whom I'm trying to become more than just friends with. She's amazing, and I designed a pendant for her this past summer and need to have to ready and cast by the time I see her on the 25th. Please help me out here!

Jon,

A USB to parallel printer adaptor won't work with Mach, you need either a PCMCIA parallel card or a Smoothstepper from the USB port. I think you'll find more detail if you look at the Mach forum, I'm pretty sure that's where the info came from.

The Smoothstepper option might not work for your january 23rd deadline. Their website is showing a 4 week backorder. here is the website for them: http://www.warp9td.com/

Maybe evil bay has something?

Try talking to Stephanie of Warp9Tech. She may be able to help. Use the sales link provided by mad4trucks.

Very helpful lady.

Regards,
    Wong

The Smoothstepper looks like a nice bit of gear. However, I think it is priced out of the range of th hobbyist starting off with CNC.

The SS is priced at $US155. At the moment I am valuing my currency ($AU) at $AU1 = $US0.60. That puts the SS at $AU258. Then there's postage and handling which could amount to $US28. That puts it at $AU305. For that money, I can buy a good, secondhand PC on which I can run my draughting and motion control software.

The only trade-off is that the PC has a large footprint, and like Wongster, my available space is limited. I could buy a 2nd hand laptop, but laptops with 25 pin printer outlets are a bit dated.

Good on the SS people for working to solve the Mach3/USB problem. I think it will be a couple of years before sales volume leads to a drop in price.
    Old Man Emu
    I can't fly, but I'm telling you ...
    I can run the pants off a kangaroo

A little painful to pay with the strengthening USD and the exchange rate given by paypal. Good that I bought my stuff slightly earlier. As of now USD/SGD is $0.6649. AUD/SGD is $1.0039 to give some feel.

Will stop buying stuff online for the time being till the fx is more favourable.

Default Why the cable wont work

I think your having the same problem I was having and your probably going to face another before long.

I don't think a Lap-Top is the best PC to use to control your mill, Mach3 elaborates on this, it has something to do with the internal clock.

cable has 25 pins connecting to 25 pins, your USB has 6 I think.

The computer sends signals down each pin to control the device using the DB25, with a USB port you will see a couple of data pins, power pin, ground pin and thats about it, so it dosen't connect the same as a DB25 or COM cable would to a breakout board.

You will need a USB Breakout board, I found something offered by Phidgets called a 1062 4 motor controller but need a Post Program (XML) document to get this to work with Mach3. But there may be other complications again with the internal clock.
    I also think there is an arduino product that may work and I will keep you informed.

hope you can keep me updated,

Rob

Default Re: Why the cable wont work

If you dont want a smooth stepper get an old pc with a parallel port. PMDX sells a modded rosewill PCI parallel port card that also works well.

Thread Information