TOOLSTODAY-COM

Thread: V type rollers for diy linear bearing

Default V type rollers for diy linear bearing

Hi It has been a while since last posting. I hope to re-do my cnc
    using 80/20 and aluminum in the next several months. I have purchased
    a few parts, but would like suggestions on motion slides. Would like to use
    linear rails & bearings but to much money for me. The gantry will be
    heavy i estimate 70 to80 lbs. so need something to carry the load.
    I have seen some people using V type rollers, has any one used this type
    or have some idea what else would work.
    Thanks, any help would sure help me
    Anson

Default v-roller..

Anson,
    one of the popular lowcost setups is the v-groove bearing #2-has a 3/8 center bore- with or without seals- and is used on .125 angle-iron rail. a break-in period is required but they are accurate and can handle high loads. the next upgrade would be to purchase the v-rail made for the bearings. higher loads/ commercial type use supported rail- but they are pricey. My next build is v-groove (22 total) with built in room for precision v-rail upgrade at a later date.
    gadget

The DualVee bearing has been around for many many years, the original patent is held by Bishop Wiscarver, http://www.bwc.com/about_history.vp.html I have used these on quite a few linear systems, and they are very good, but as Gadget mentioned, running them along an aluminum angle, will mushroom the angle edge, in a short amount of time, make design provisions to be able to replace the aluminum, with the proper hardened rail as he mentioned, you also need to make provisions to adjust the preload as the aluminum mushrooms,

The original Bishop Wiscarvers are very precise, I have personally used them, they have almost zero slop, If you need to use the China copies, for price reasons, at least order a small quantity to check for slop, as I not sure of the china quality?
    Try irvineman bearings on ebay, he sells the cheapest China v-bearing clones.

Thanks to both Gadget and Nick for your information. Have checked a few web sites and found http:// www.pbclinear.com. One setup they have is IVT (integral v technology) it would appear that they have carriage that will fit on the 80/20 aluminum, nice but sure the price is also high.crt (cam roller technology) is the setup i am looking at. Gadget you said no.2 as a good size with 3/8" bore nice size mounting bolt.I thought i could use a eccentric (adjustable bushing) on two wheels, that way you could adjust the play. with no 2 wheel this would only leave a1/4" mounting bolt,would you have any comments on this size being strong enough. Have check some prices on wheels,no1 app.20.00 each no3 app. 30.00 each I assume no2 would app. 25.00 each I don't know if this in in the ballpark or not.

Here are the v-groove bearings from VXB, (ebay seller irvineman) these are sealed which are slightly more expensive, they do have sheilded as well at a couple of dollars less,

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit8405

Nick: thanks for reply, they seems a better price. Do you order them from e-bay or from the company? Do you feel that the eccentric bushing will give enough adjustment, for no2 roller app. .025" not much, but if my drilling is with a drill press i should be ok. i think.
    Anson

Quote Originally Posted by anson in victoria View Post
    Nick: thanks for reply, they seems a better price. Do you order them from e-bay or from the company? Do you feel that the eccentric bushing will give enough adjustment, for no2 roller app. .025" not much, but if my drilling is with a drill press i should be ok. i think.
    Anson
    I have always ordered bearings thru their website, and only other types of bearings, never this v-groove, so I do not know what kind of quality this exact bearing is, I would at least trial 4 of them first, as for .025" it should be enough,

Default bearings..

I agree w/Nick- .025 should be enough adjustment for the bearing- also these same bearings are on ebay- but for the same price (even in qty. of 10 or more) I use vbx. A 1/4 inch bolt will be fine for support, use a grade 5 or more for shear strength and flex (most hardware stores carry 5, some carry grade 8- if the price is close go for the 8.) On that note, other parts of the machine will break before the bearing support bolts do (experience !), so dont sweat it.

gadget

Default bearings

additional:
    if you mount the bearing axle shaft through the mdf, put a 1/8 aluminum plate on both sides of the mdf for added support- you wont have to tighten the bolts every time you use the machine. Hope you don't mind my 2 cents worth...

gadget

Gadget
    Yes I can buy grade 8 bolts, you are only at app.25 so won't be big axtra
    cost. Have ordered 4 wheels from vxb will check end play when received.
    I also found that superior bearing in Ohio has fair prices on wheels and rail
    by fair I mean not as high a price as some.
    Thanks
    Anson

Default bearing end play..

Hi AIV,
    just received some of my v-groove bearings from vxb.- nice-no end play (due to their internal construction) and dust seals. Getting anxious to start the new machine!
    Gadget

Hi gadget good to hear you are on the go for the next CNC.
    I have also received bearings from both vxb and superior. they both appear
    to be equal in end play but the cross section of the superior bearing appears
    to be able to take side load, but this is only a picture. I am in the process
    of making a grinding jig to cut the 45 deg. on the angle iron. Will be using
    1 1/2X 1 1/2 X 3/16 thick, only reason for using that size is to match the
    82/20 aluminum. hope to have a few photo's in a week or two.
    anson

Have some photo's of the angle ground with 4 1/2" grinder set up. I made it to move the material through the grinder, instead of moving the grinder.
    Found that you could grind up to the end. This way you can center the grind
    by leaving adjustment ,grind one side, change end to end gring other side.
    Sure I will make changes as necessary. Any thought, if it will work.
    Anson
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diy v type grider 002.jpg 
Views:	786 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	522   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diy v type grider 006.jpg 
Views:	629 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	523   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diy v type grider 009.jpg 
Views:	734 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	524   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diy v type grider 010.jpg 
Views:	707 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	525   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diy v type grider 004.jpg 
Views:	823 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	526  

Anson

That jig looks great, If you get the time you should draw up and set of plans, or a sketchup diagram for it. I'm sure that there are others in the DIY CNC community who would be able to put it to use.

Boort
    Rockcliff Machine Model A (built fall 2008)
    - Baltic Birch Construction
    - Probotix 3 Axis kit with Red Motors
    - Bosch Colt VS with upgraded Collet
    - Mach3 / Vectric Aspire

Thread Information