Thread: mach 3 2010 screenset

Default mach 3 2010 screenset

Hi:
    I found a screenset for cnc woodworkers in artsoft
    screensets. Appears to be much difference than the std.
    screen and possible will take longer to set up.
    Has anyone tryed this yet,if so your comments please.
    TKS.
    Anson

Anson

I have not personally used the mach 3 2010 screen set. I did follow some of it's development on the Mach yahoo group/forums. If all you want is a clean uncluttered screenset with a good view of the toolpath preview window then it is a simple settings change to switch from the default screen set to the 2010 screen set. (I'm not in front of my router now so I can't give the exact setting)

Where you get into the extra setup is when you start using the auto zero features and other advanced macros that this screen set makes readily available.

I have heard many good things about this screenset and personally like the way it flows better than the default. It seems to be a lot closer to the AXIS interface for EMC2 which I'm familiar with.

For those wondering what we are talking about the screen set and additional info is available here:
    http://home.comcast.net/~cncwoodworker/2010.html

Regards,
    Boort
    Rockcliff Machine Model A (built fall 2008)
    - Baltic Birch Construction
    - Probotix 3 Axis kit with Red Motors
    - Bosch Colt VS with upgraded Collet
    - Mach3 / Vectric Aspire

boort
    Thanks for the reply. I aggre that it does show a clearer
    layout. For $20.00 its worth a try,will download on the home
    computer first to test.
    tks.anson
    have a good hoilday.

I'm the author of the 2010 Screenset, and can answer any questions you may have.

As far as setup, there's not much involved, and should only take a few minutes to get it up and running. There's an installer to install all the files, and all you need to do is copy some macros to your macros\profile folder and enable 2 brains.

You can download the manual from my site and see exactly what you need to do. There are also two videos on the site that go over setup and operation.

To use the Auto Zero during toolchange function, you'll need to install a fixed touch off plate, and enter it's location on one of the tabs of the screen.

A few other functions also require some locations to be entered, but it's really quite simple.

For anyone controlling a router with Mach3, it should have all the standard Mach3 functions you'll need, and it gets rid of most of the ones you don't need.
    Gerry

Hi Gerry,
    I've looked at your software on several occasions and I like it alot. I have a few questions. Will I be able to add a pendant to the system (preferably usb style) and still keep your screens (Imach claims their usb works with existing mach 3 screensets) ?
    Does the auto probe/touchplate feature automatically add a m6,g43 h2 command to every program loaded to mach3? and if it does, can it be turned off and still maintain functionality of the tool change setup? The reason I ask this is after big-tex update-3 - my machine wants to home g53 0,0,0, on every program i load (mach loads it into the file) regardless of the tool change position I select. I almost ripped through my camera the first time it happened Will the 4th axis work as it does in mach screen?
    regards,
    gadget

Quote Originally Posted by anson in victoria View Post
    boort
    Thanks for the reply. I aggre that it does show a clearer
    layout. For $20.00 its worth a try,will download on the home
    computer first to test.
    tks.anson
    have a good hoilday.
    Hi Anson,
    did you download this yet?
    regards,
    bob

Quote Originally Posted by gadget47 View Post
    Hi Gerry,
    I've looked at your software on several occasions and I like it alot. I have a few questions. Will I be able to add a pendant to the system (preferably usb style) and still keep your screens (Imach claims their usb works with existing mach 3 screensets) ?
    Generally, a screenset in Mach3 should have no effect on the hardware you're using. The major difference between the standard Mach3 screen and the 2010 screen is that they look different.

With the exception of Flash screens, all "regular" Mach3 screens (.set files) use the same buttons, LED's, and DRO's. They just move them around, and change the graphics.

The extra features in the 2010 Screenset are small macros activated by custom buttons on the screen.

Now, looking at VistaCNC's website, it appears that their pendants use Mach3 plugins. Plugins are not configured through the screensets, but have their own configuration windows.
    It does appear to have a setting that opens the "Tab" or jogging screen. The 2010 screenset uses that screen as a diagnostics screen, so you'd want to disable that feature in the plugin.

So it appears to me that there shouldn't be any issues. If you buy the screenset and findout that it won't work with your particular hardware, I'll gladly refund the purchase price.

Does the auto probe/touchplate feature automatically add a m6,g43 h2 command to every program loaded to mach3? and if it does, can it be turned off and still maintain functionality of the tool change setup? The reason I ask this is after big-tex update-3 - my machine wants to home g53 0,0,0, on every program i load (mach loads it into the file) regardless of the tool change position I select. I almost ripped through my camera the first time it happened
    No it does not add any g-codes.

I believe you are mistaken about the Big Tex update, as I don't believe it's possible for a screenset to do that. I have the Big Tex screenset installed and it doesn't do anything to my code. My guess is your CAM post processor is adding the G53 code.

With the auto zero during toolchange feature of the 2010 screenset, I recommend removing the G43 calls from your code, as they are not needed, and can cause problems.
    G43 applies a length offset to the tool, based on the length value in the tooltable. The 2010 screenset automatically zeroes the tool after a toolchange, so no offset is needed, and if one is applied, it will cause the Z axis position to be incorrect.
    You're CAM software will need to add the Tx M6 to your g-code for the toolchange.
    You can also run separate programs for each tool, and use the M6 button between programs to change the tool and automatically zero the new tool to match the previous tool's zero position.

Will the 4th axis work as it does in mach screen?
    regards,
    gadget
    Yes, as I said before, the screen doesn't change the way Mach3 works. It just adds some features to make it work better.
    Gerry

Thanks for the reply Gerry, I'm going over to your site and downloading the 2010 setup . I double checked the g code generation from my newfangled and sure enough, the g code generates the "m6 G43 H2 line along w/a G00 xo,yo line. This happens on all programs I load since I installed the newest update from big tex- so its not from my cam program. I cam manualy edit it but it is a PIA. I'll shoot him a question about it. I do remember something about a m6.mls? file being overwritten with that update, so maybe that has something to do with it.
    Thanks for the help,
    gadget

If you create all your code using the NewFangled wizards, then they're most likely the culprit.

And, you can't download the screen, just the manual. I send the screen files out via email when I get the purchase notification from PayPal.
    Gerry

your not helping me Gerry
    I have backup copies of the mach3 profiles and folder, so I'm going to erase my existing mach folder, re-install and not install big-tex latest toolchange and I bet it all works fine (as it did before the "update") I'll let you know.
    I have to do this anyway-I don't want these problems to carry through to your screenset when I get it (paypal sent today)
    regards,
    gadget

I'm fairly certain that the Big Tex screenset is not altering your code. If I'm wrong, I'm very interested in learning how he's doing it.
    I'm at work, and will send the files as soon as I get home. Sorry for the delay.
    Gerry

no rush, I'm at work too. I wont get to play with any of this untill tomorrow anyway. Is it possible that -in the general pulldown menu (mach3) a setting is enabled/disabled that could cause the software to add the line of g-code? I'll have to compare settings to my other machine (works fine-not updated)
    I'll keep you posted.
    regards,
    gadget

No, I don't think so. Nothing in Mach3 should ever modify your g-code in any way, except for the user clicking the "Edit G-Code" button and editing the code themselves.
    Gerry

to gadget 47
    At this time I have not installed 2010 screenset but hope to do
    so in next few months. In the process of rework on the cnc
    router.
    Anson

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    No, I don't think so. Nothing in Mach3 should ever modify your g-code in any way, except for the user clicking the "Edit G-Code" button and editing the code themselves.
    Hi Gerry, got the files and installed as per you-nice! It'll take me a bit to get used to the Icons and the layout, but I like it. I really like the multiple ways to align/center the work-looks like my friends Haas machine layout. I set up the park,tool change position and the permanent plate. works just as you describe-great!
    Back to your reply from the other day; seeing as you are the software guru an I a mere user, I decided to persue the problem from that fact- I found that the cam software (bobcad) and the newfangled add-ons were in fact adding the m6,g43 h2 line to any g-code I wrote (going back several months) not a problem to ignor the m6 call, in fact I had both machines set to ignor the m6 call. when I updated big blue to btex 3.2 is when all hell broke loose. somehow (maybee you can figure it out) the replacement m6start.mls/m6end.mls files have something to do with it.when a tool change was required the machine would go to x0,y0,z0 without prompting and then go back to position. this was without any setup of the tool change positions. the only way for me to stop it was ignor m6 calls. when I did do the tool change perm plate coordinates and run the prgm, it still went to machine 0, then back to the tool change plate. when I uninstalled and went back to the previous version of b tex it worked fine. (i backed up the mls files this time)
    Now I'm running yours on big blue, and I have the blue set big tex running (still fine) on my taig mill. all is right with my cnc world. What a big view of the toolpath!
    Thanks for your 2010 set, I'm sure I'll have great success with it (with your help, of course)
    regards,
    gadget
    Last edited by gadget47; 01-22-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Apparently the M6 macro that he includes is (was) making those moves. Similar to the way mine moves to the toolchange position, then the fixed plate.

Glad you like it so far. If you have any questions, just ask.
    Gerry

Hi Gerry,
    just had a few minutes to check in with you-I installed the screenset over the setup for my pendant-everything worked right away including turning the control of the pendant off and the keyboard back on-all from the pendant.
    It's actually easier to run the pendant in your screens than the vista cnc screens, I found navigating much more intuitive in your screens.
    Really enjoying this,
    regards,
    Gadget

Cool! Glad you like it.
    Gerry

Default learning..

Hi Gerry,
    I posted a video on youtube about your 2010 set, using the centering feature on a circular part, still experimenting with all the buttons. Thnx again,
    regards,
    gadget
    http://youtu.be/o88Hf6JQwvg
    Last edited by gadget47; 02-09-2012 at 10:31 PM.

I can see how centering that can come in handy for cutting that lip around the edge.

What's that part for??
    Gerry

Default centering...

Hi Gerry,
    the part is a point cover for the harley-davidson evo-motor (80 CID) that I make for a local Custom Bike Fabricator- Heavy Metal Fabrications. The other side has his logo V-carved into it. I have a pic of the finished product on my web site-www.arrzeecustom.com in the emblem section.
    regards,
    gadget
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails logo2.jpg  

Here is a better pic of them in various stages of construction
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails metal.jpg  

Thumbs up

Hi Gerry,
    just touching base with you about the 2010 screenset-great!
    I've been using it for a few months now and don't think i could live without it Im used to the buttons and the features now, and even installed the xbox360 wire(usb) controller and software to run the machine- that works great too. I did have a tiny suggestion based on a few months of use- would you/could you make the e-stop warning led a bit bigger /or more centrally located in the screen? speaking for myself, my eye doesn't always go to the flash if something has triggered it, so I sometimes spend a few extra seconds/minutes muttering and cursing beyond what I normaly do
    I see a few people in the Joes forum who have your screenset too, they seem to like it as much as I.
    Thanks again,
    regards,
    Gadget
    model A, Joes Hybrid 4x4 alu., Taig Micro mill
    Probotix 4x----- 5axis board---Rockcliff 4x
    Bobcad/Bobart-cam Pro V25/26, ,Spider Printer for 3D !

would you/could you make the e-stop warning led a bit bigger /or more centrally located in the screen?
    If it's very important to you, I can probably do a quick hack for you. Send me an email and I'll see if I can do a custom version for you.

But I'm not going to change it. There's really no place I can see where it could go without rearranging other controls. There are 8 different screensets included in the 2010 installation, which would all need to be modified. In addition, nearly 60 background images would need to be modified as well.

Some of the ideas for this were based on the controls of the $150K routers I use in my day job. The controls on those don't provide any indication that the machine is in E-Stop. I thought the small LED in the corner was sufficient. In 99% of the cases, if nothings working, Mach3 is in E-Stop. I personally don't see the point in wasting valuable screen space for an LED to tell you the machine's not going to work.
    Honestly, It's been mentioned by about 3 people, including yourself. I'd like to think that most people see it my way??

When designing a screen like this, with public feedback during the design process, you find out very quickly how hard it is to please everyone. A lot of what you see in the 2010 Screenset was due to user feedback.

I see a few people in the Joes forum who have your screenset too, they seem to like it as much as I.
    Joe himself purchased a copy a few weeks ago, and mentioned that is was getting popular with his forum members. I don't have access to his forum, though, so don't really know how many Joe's users are using it. I know that a few Mechmate users are using it as well.

I like to think it's a much better way to use a router than the stock Mach3 screens.

Thanks again,
    Gerry

Thread Information